Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Happy Breakfast

Did I ever tell you how much we love, no absolutely adore breakfast? The excitement for weekends usually includes excitement for a wonderful home cooked breakfast or a nice brunch in a cafe by the beach down the road. We just love the happy feeling or starting the morning right with a cup of coffee and a plate of either of the following:
-pancakes
-eggs benedict (more on that in another post)
-waffles
-omelette
-fritata
-or a good old classic Pinoy breakfast.


Weekends are perfect for big breakfasts like these because we actually have the time to savour the coffee, the food and the happy breakfast vibe. Weekday breakfasts are usually just a quick bowl of oatmeal, cereal with milk, yogurt and fruit or toast with cheese. But, I decided to prepare a special weekday breakfast just yesterday, a
Monday. I wanted to surprise my dear husband on his birthday. What better way to brighten the Mondays we all dread with a pleasant meal, I thought. So there I was bright and early at 7am preparing a surprise treat for him upon his arrival from his 2 - 9am shift. Yes he works crazy hours even on his birthday, so I had to do something to make him feel special.

Nothing says good morning like a cup of coffee and of course, orange juice. To make it more exciting, I freshly squeezed an orange, muddled in some kiwi and a couple slices of lemon. Instead of lemon, I added a teaspoon of powdered iced tea to give it some kick. This definitely brought a smile to his face.



Next on the menu was a delectable fritata of scallions, mushrooms, asparagus and vintage cheddar cheese. Yummy! This is so easy to make.





In a skillet (were only two so I used a small one) melt about 1 tablespoon of butter. You'll want to use an oven proof skillet. Saute some garlic and the scallions lightly. Add in the mushrooms and asparagus once the first two ingredients slightly soften. Cook for another minute two.




Add in 3 eggs that have been beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper. I added a splash or milk to make it extra fluffy. Stir the mixture in the pan for about a minute and the leave it over medium heat. Top with grated cheddar cheese and stick the pan into an oven at 200C for about 8 - 10 minutes until the eggs set. Serve warm with toast or on its own.





Next on the menu was one of our favourites:
banana pancakes. As one of my favourite Jack Johnson songs goes:


Can't you see that it's just raining
Ain't no need to go outside...
But baby, you hardly even notice
When I try to show you this song
It's meant to keep you
From doin' what your supposed to
Like wakin' up too early
Maybe we could sleep in
I'll make you banana pancakes
Pretend like it's the weekend now
And we could pretend it all the time 
Can't you see that it's just rainin' 
Ain't no need to go outside 
Ain't no need, ain't no need
Rain all day and I really really really don't mind
Can't you see, can't you see 
We've gotta wake up slow
So of course in this case, he DID notice. As good as he said they were, they did not stop him from going back to work and pretending like it was the weekend. I guess we'll just sleep in and wake up slow on the Saturday then.





Here's the Banana Pancake recipe I used, which is inspired by one of my heroes, Martha Stewart.
Whisk together the dry ingredients:
-1 cup flour
-2 tablespoons sugar (I used raw sugar just because I like the flavor better)
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt


Then, add in:
-1 large egg beaten lightly
-1 cup milk
-2 tablespoons butter - I forgot this part and they still turned out really good. Pretty cool, my pancakes were that much lighter then! Whisk all ingredients together until combined.


Now, slice two bananas 1/4 inch thick. Melt some butter in a skillet (this part I would NOT omit). Place 5 banana rounds in the pan and spoon batter over each of them. Her recipe says to make one mini pancake per banana slice which results in really cute mini banana pancakes. Being a weekday morning, I didn't have the luxury of time so I just made regular sized pancakes of them. Flip when ready as you would a regular pancake and cook the other side until golden brown. Keep warm in the oven and serve with more butter, maple syrup or honey.
Definitely a yummy meal to keep you home all morning. Enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment