Friday, July 2, 2010

World Cup Food Part 2

As I mentioned in this post, I stocked up on food for the World Cup. One night was Thai night. I guess you could say it was in celebration of the Asian teams doing better in the tournament than they usually do. I sure hope that the development of top quality football players from our part of the world continues. 


For Thai night, I decided to make green curry. Okay, I kinda cheated because I used prepared curry paste, but I added elements to make it my own. I didn't just throw in the meat and pour in coconut milk. I used prawns for this version so we had to eat it up right away.


Ingredients:
- 2-3 tablespoons of green curry paste
- 3 cloves of garlic
- half a medium onion
- 2 eggplants
- 1 bunch bok choy
- 1.5 - 2 cups coconut milk (add more or less to adjust heat)
- 400g of prawns
- 4-6 kaffir lime leaves (cut in half for easy removal later)

- 10 Thai basil leaves
- 2 stalks of cilantro (optional)

Here's how I did it: I sauteed the curry paste in canola oil. Then threw I in the chopped garlic, onions and kaffir lime leaves, and continued to saute until onions were cooked through. At this point, you add in the eggplant and after a couple of minutes, the bok choy. Pour in coconut milk and allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes. Add whole prawns to the pan. I left the skin and heads on as I thought it would add more flavor to the dish (which it did!). As soon as the prawns turn pink, remove from heat. Finish with whole leaves of Thai Basil to give the curry it's well known fragrance. I'm not too sure if cilantro is part of green curry but since I had some, I just added a bit in anyway.

Remove the Kaffir Lime leaves before serving because they are tough to chew. Serve with hot rice.





No comments:

Post a Comment